|"Divide and Rule"|
|Episode Number||5/13 (057)|
|First Broadcast||December 19, 2017|
|Next||Bring The Regime To Its Knees|
Divide and Rule is the fifth episode of Survivor: Thailand.
Day 12 (Night)
The five members of Chuay Gahn return to camp, wasting no time in discussing the events of the heated tribal council. Vince thanks the majority of the group for keeping him, hoping that Gypsy's removal will grant the tribe the strength they need for future challenges.
|“||Finally, after three tribal councils we finally said goodbye to our weakest link. It's a little unnerving that the vote came down to a tie initially, but thankfully Aaron switched over... I'm completely behind both Julius and Salma for pulling through for me, because had they not I'd be out of this thing. In regards to Rachel now being the known outsider, I don't feel bad... I spent my first ten days in that position, and no one threw me any sympathy, so if she expects me to put my arm round her and wish her well... its not going to happen.||”|
Aaron tries to speak with Rachel, but she fluffs off his efforts, announcing to the group that she'd rather go to bed than deliberate the events of tribal council. The others respect her wishes, opting not to pursue her round the cave.
|“||I had to make a move tonight that would strengthen the tribe over my individual game. My eyes were really opened to the fact that unless we start winning challenges, my individual game wont matter come merge, because our numbers would be so depleted that we'd not have a chance in hell. It doesn't feel good knowing that I turned my back on my friends, and I can see how hurt both Rachel and Gypsy were with my decision. But based on how things went, I now have a close bond with Julius, and I feel that both Aaron and Vince will keep my interests at heart... this hasn't damaged my position with anyone left other than Rachel, and I just hope that its a move which will pay off come the immunity challenge.||”|
Rachel goes off alone for the day, not wanting to be around the others in her tribe after the 'betrayal' that took place the previous night. The others remain by the caves, noticing her absence immediately.
- Did she just run off alone?- Julius
- Seems like it.- Salma
- She's really mad... about last night.- Aaron
- Well she needs to suck it up. I'm sorry but this is a game, and if she's so hurt then obviously she's in the wrong place.- Vince
- I feel maybe someone should go and find her...- Salma
- Be my guest...- Vince
- I'll go and look...- Aaron
- Maybe you're not the best person. If anyone has to go and find her its probably best its myself or Vince. I'll go get her back... or at least see she's okay.- Julius
|“||It isn't a great sign to see Rachel missing today. Isolating yourself in this game... in this environment. It's a dangerous thing. I don't care if its my worse enemy or my best friend out there, we can't be relaxed when someone goes off like this. No one deserves to suffer like that... because this is already a lonely-lonely place without being off on your own.||”|
Julius stands and goes off to find Rachel, leaving the others sitting in the cave, stoking the fire in turns.
- Its just... I get why you can feel bad for her. But when I was on my own I didn't pull these kinds of stunts. She's being immature.- Vince
- I guess we just all respond to trauma differently...- Aaron
- Seriously...? "Trauma"... we're on a television show voting each other out. You didn't kill her mother.- Vince
|“||I don't feel sorry for Rachel in the slightest today. It crossed my mind that she's very young, and being a girl without any close company must be tough... but this whole charade of running off into the jungle or down the beach, getting the others worried and feeling sorry for you. I don't know how anyone can look at someone pulling this stunt after their first time voting in the minority... and think 'that poor thing, let's make it up to them'. All that's crossing my mind now is can we even consider Rachel strong enough to go deep with us in the game... we're thirteen days in, and there's a lot more betrayals to come. If she's going to fold up after the first one then she's out of her element.||”|
Julius looks around the beach and jungle edge for Rachel, but fails to find her after twenty-minutes of searching. Rachel sits alone on a rocky area adjacent to the tribes section of beach, making an effort to dip her head when she sees Julius searching in the distance.
|“||I don't want to be around my tribe today. I can't look in the faces of those people when all they do is lie, lie, lie. I feel so weak, and all I can do is sit alone through it all, because I know any comfort these guys give me hides the knife they're getting ready to plunge into my back once again. So for now, I'm going to sit here and take in this amazing landscape... the game can wait. I don't need to have pointless chats when they've already made the decision I'm leaving next... my time here is now going to be about self-survival. Outplaying and Outwitting is out-the-window.||”|
The group get on with their daily chores, with the exception of one member; Rick. Rick remains sleeping for a large portion of the morning, failing to get up and help when requested by Ricardo. Kanda and Ricardo sweep the camp area, looking over to see if Rick will pitch in eventually.
|“||Rick is a complicated person. He can be a very hard worker, and he can be the laziest person around the camp. There's no in between with him. He's either doing everything that needs to be done, or he's sleeping all day.||”|
- When did you last ask him to help?- Kanda
- About ten minutes ago...- Ricardo
- This can't be allowed... Rick! Rick!- Kanda
- Uh...?- Rick
- Can you help? If you want to sleep that's fine, but when its been all morning and into the afternoon... it's not fair.- Kanda
Rick slowly sits up, wiping his eyes and looking at Kanda. He asks her what needs to be done, simply standing around and gently sweeping to pitch in, doing a minimal amount of work in order to conserve his energy. Phillip and Melissa, who have been sat by the fire, look at Rick, with Melissa shaking her head in annoyance.
|“||Rick is an annoying guy. I've never really been a huge fan of his, but I never really completely bought into the idea that he was as bad as some people made out. But recently he's been sucking in challenges that require the mental capacity of a five year old, and around camp he does next to nothing when everyone else pitches in. I know its getting to Kanda and Ricardo... and from what I understand Estan and Karen have always thought he sucked. I think if we're to lose again anytime soon, Rick is looking to be unlikely challenged for the right to be the next one out of this tribe.||”|
After several minutes of 'work', Rick returns to the shelter to lay down, much to the annoyance of the rest of the tribe. Estan and Karen bring three eggs over from the chicken crate, cooking them up for the rest of the tribe. After Rick smells food cooking, he miraculously finds the energy to leave the shelter, joining the others by the fire ready to eat.
|“||As much as winning keeps spirits high on a tribe, we've reached this stage thirteen days in where no one has gone home other than Joan, which was over a week ago now. Having no changes in a group with paranoia and tension building up for a week is difficult, and we're almost ready to vote someone out just to get another fresh start. Rick is starting to get on my nerves, and the nerves of the others... and I think he better hope he performs exceptionally well over the next two days, or he's going to get his fire put out.||”|
Julius, Vince and Salma sit basking in the shallow water, with Rachel laying down in the shelter, still refusing to get involved with the rest of the tribe. Aaron returns to the group having just picked up tree mail, excited as he uncovers $1,000 alongside the instructions.
- We've got money guys!- Aaron
- What's that?- Vince
- One thousand!- Aaron
- Dollars?- Julius
- Yeah!- Aaron
- Petty change...!- Julius
- Maybe for some... (laughs)- Aaron
- What's it say?- Vince
Aaron reads the instructions, indicating that the reward challenge will involve some sort of buying activity in order to win treats.
- Is it gambling?- Vince
- No, its an auction. They've done it before. We're getting food!- Julius
- Oh my God... why does that make me want to cry?- Salma
|“||Knowing that we'll be eating today no matter what is a good opportunity for the tribe to raise our spirits and bond. Unless of course we have got this wrong and eating isn't guaranteed. Which given how bad our luck has been so far is entirely likely.||”|
Kanda and Ricardo collect tree mail together, reading the same rules given to Chuay Gahn, whilst counting the $1,000 cash. Kanda jokes that they should pocket the money and run off, before the pair return to the rest of camp. Eventually they read the rules to the rest of Sook Jai, bringing up the excitement at the idea of buying food rather than having to win it.
- Rick if we give you the money will you quit?- Karen
- You're funny Karen... I'm happy to use this for food. But if we don't get somethin' good we're eatin' one of them chickens...- Rick
|“||I'm so hungry right now. We ain't had a damn good meal since we been here, and I'm bored of half an egg here and there. I want me some meat, bread... I'll eat an entire one of them chickens all by myself! So today whatever we have offered I'll throw all the money out there for it. Steak would do me nicely.||”|
Both tribes sit on opposite benches, excited to hear what is in store for their reward challenge. Jeff explains that the group will partake in a tribal auction, bidding on items as a group, which then can be shared as a group if won. However, a bombshell is dropped on the tribe before the auction commences. Jeff informs the contestants that anyone wishing to leave their tribe and to permanently join the rival tribe may do so, giving everyone sixty seconds to consider the offer.
|“||When Jeff said anyone who wants to leave can just stand up and go to the other group... my immediate thought was please hurry up and get these sixty seconds over, because I knew all I wanted to do was get away from the lies and deceit that have plagued Chuay Gahn.||”|
|“||Asking someone to willingly leave their tribe and join the other is the dumbest thing possible. Nobody in their right mind would think that doing such a thing would get themselves anywhere other than the bottom of the new tribes totem poll. I didn't for a second think anyone would truly consider the offer...||”|
- Alright... Sook Jai I'll come to you guys first. Does anyone want to switch tribes?- Jeff Probst
- (no one responds, with several people shaking their heads)- Sook Jai
- Alright, no one from Sook Jai going to swap.- Jeff Probst
- Because we all know doing that gets you voted out the first time you lose again Jeff...- Phillip
|“||I kinda wish Karen took the offer and left our group. She don't like me and I don't like her. Gettin' rid of her without havin' to go to tribal council would've been too good to be true.||”|
- Alright, we'll now come to Chuay Gahn. Anybody here want to change their game and join Sook Jai?- Jeff Probst
- (no one responds)- Chuay Gahn
- ... Ok. The offer hasn't been taken by anyone, meaning both tribes remain the same. Let's get to the bidding!- Jeff Probst
|“||I can't believe for a second that Rachel stayed with us. If I was here I'd have grabbed my things and moved straight away over to Sook Jai, and I wouldn't have blamed her in the slightest for doing so. I can't think what it was that prevented her leaving us... but my only guess was it had something to do with Phillip's veiled threat acting as a deterrence.||”|
Challenge: Survivor Auction
Before the challenge, the tribes were given $1000 via Tree Mail. The host will reveal various items, where some are remained covered until they sold. Tribes must outbid each other.
|Reward Challenge: Survivor Auction|
|Burger and Fries||Sook Jai||$280|
|Cold Pitcher of Lime Juice||Sook Jai||$60|
|Covered Item (Baked Grubs)||Chuay Gahn||$80|
|Spaghetti, Meatballs and Garlic Bread||Chuay Gahn||$320|
|Covered Item (Ice Cream Sundae)||Sook Jai||$120|
|Nachos and Margarita Pitcher||Chuay Gahn||$240|
Having enjoyed the change in format at the reward challenge, the group return replenished and ready to relax for the remainder of the day. However, the question of Rachel remaining with Chuay Gahn remains on everyone's minds, with no one certain why she didn't leave when given the option.
|“||As soon as the twist was announced I felt pretty cheated because I was sure it meant Rachel was taking her things and going over to Sook Jai, which left us without an obvious target if we're to lose again before the merge. No one on Sook Jai came over, and because we don't know their dynamics I assumed its because they all get along. But when you look at Rachel staying with us, it just doesn't make any sense! She's either completely insane or more cunning than any of us realise... I couldn't not ask her about it when we got back.||”|
- I've gotta ask Rachel... why are you still here? (laughs) I mean I'm glad you are, I don't like the idea of anyone leaving... please don't take it the wrong way. But I just figured that was almost tailored for you.- Vince
- Probably because of how much of an ass Phillip made himself look with the whole "if you swap you're going first" threat...- Salma
- It did cross my mind... I'm sure you guys can all work that out. But ultimately I started my time on this tribe, and I don't want to jump ship just because things got tough...- Rachel
- Wow... I really respect that Rach...- Julius
- I knew you were tough (laughs)... but seriously, thank you for staying. I want the five of us to continue this thing together... no more groups or loners... we're all Chuay Gahn.- Salma
Salma puts her arm around Rachel, who surprisingly allows it, not shunning her away as she had done to the group the previous day. Spirits seem somewhat better around the camp, with the five members sitting and talking about the auction for some time, commenting on which items they liked the most. Eventually, Salma and Aaron depart to collect the fishing net, having left it out all day.
|“||I'm crushed. I wanted nothing more than to leave this group and get a new start for myself at Sook Jai, but Phillip's comment was the deal breaker for me. If me going over to Sook Jai guaranteed that they'd just vote me out, I'd rather stay on this tribe and leave with my head held high, than to jump ship and see it end in the same result... only this time I'm a rat. I decided to bond a bit more with the group after the auction, as I want to make these next days as easy as possible... but if I'm to stay here I'm not going to go down without a fight. I can't trust Salma or Aaron, so the second both of them left I looked at Vince and Julius and tried to make an ultimatum.||”|
- You guys know at this point I have no one... I want to stay here.- Rachel
- Right...- Vince
- Those two... they've been lying and playing everyone since the start. First they were with us targeting you guys, and they've now changed to you guys to target those of us they made deals with. They assured me that they'd stay loyal and weren't who they were being made out to be... but I've been fooled twice. Rather than to let it happen a third time I'd rather try and work with you two, as you've been honest... and I think it's in your interest to be weary of them, because for all you know we lose tomorrow and they try to pull me in to get one of you out. They've switched sides before and there's nothing to stop them doing it again, especially as doing that would get them in an even stronger position of this group.- Rachel
- ... Well, you wanna stop for a breath? (laughs)- Vince
- Just consider it... please. And... (sigh)... I'll ask you don't run off and tell them both what I said here. Just keep it between us three.- Rachel
- We won't... and I'll consider your point. I mean I think we're all aware how tricky they both can be.- Julius
|“||Working with Salma and Vince you're never one hundred percent sure how genuine their word is. I mean the only reason they're working with me is because they broke their word to others, so Rachel does make an extremely valid case. If we do lose tomorrow, Vince and I need to look at the possibility that joining up with her will give us total power over this tribe, rather than to let Salma or Aaron get to her first and turn the vote on us.||”|
Feeling they did better than their rivals during the reward, the group return with smiles on their faces, pleased to have all being given the chance to eat. The group begin settling down around their camp, talking about the food and how they enjoyed the break from a regular challenge. During the conversation, Rick goes over to the chicken crate and pulls out one of the birds, walking back over to the group and making a suggestion.
|“||So we were all sitting down after the challenge, some of us still licking our fingers and saying how we felt full and wouldn't need to make our tribe meal until later... and suddenly Rick walks up to the group with one of our chickens... and he had this crazy look in his eyes.||”|
- What's going on?- Ricardo
- I just want to ask a group question...- Rick
- We're not eating a chicken...- Melissa
- Can I ask it first?- Rick
- We're not eating it... we've just eaten!- Melissa
- We split two things... two!- Rick
|“||Rick keeps showing us that he thinks for himself and only himself. We ate today at the reward, and I know it wasn't a huge amount but it was something. We don't eat much in a day anyway, so the reward should have kept us all going until later tonight, where we'd be able to have some egg or something small... as to have a whole entire chicken felt like a waste to me. The group overall were against it, but Rick just pushed because what Rick wants... Rick thinks he's going to get.||”|
- Well, I've got to say I agree with Rick. I'd like to eat a chicken.- Phillip
- I don't... I'm hungry but to me it's a waste.- Karen
- Well if two of us are hungry... why shouldn't we eat?- Phillip
- Exactly...- Rick
- By all means eat... but you're not eating one of the chickens between the two of you.- Karen
- We'll share it with the tribe...- Phillip
- But guys, we don't want it... So why would you cook up the whole chicken when only two people in a group of seven want it. There's five of us saying no.- Kanda
|“||I don't like the group mentality going on in Sook Jai right now. It feels like mob rule is taking over, and people like Kanda and Karen think they're brave enough to tell me what I should be doing. I'd laugh if I wasn't so fed up with it.||”|
- Well... As the leader here I'm going to unfortunately overrule this.- Phillip
- ... What?!- Karen
- What!? Leader? You're going to overrule this?- Melissa
- Yes.- Phillip
- Oh shut up you stupid man...- Melissa
Melissa stands and waves her hand in Phillip's face, storming over to Rick and demanding he hands over the chicken. The trio argue, with Ricardo and Kanda stepping in to try and calm the situation, ultimately siding with Melissa, eventually getting Rick to hand over the chicken so that they can return it to the cage.
|“||Phillip and Rick are just two pathetic individuals. They're selfish, inconsiderate and living in their own realities. I feel sorry for anyone that has to know them beyond this game because I want to just hit the over the head with a rock each time they speak now... I actually think I hate Phillip more. I mean Rick is piggish, chauvinistic and lazy... but he doesn't try and pretend he's anyone special. Phillip is actually convinced he's an omnipotent being that controls this group and holds us together, when he has the IQ of a sea mollusc. To think they're both in law enforcement scares me... this is who we have trying to stop crime... they couldn't stop a rock if I threw it at their heads. Other than that I really have grown to love them though... (she smiles)||”|
Phillip and Rick don't attempt to bring up chickengate for the rest of the day, realising that the group sided against them. The seven don't eat again until the evening, when they sit down to eat a small meal of snails that they collected on the beach.
Both tribes receive tree mail in the form of a golden fish, informing them that their next task will involve fish, with the tribe that wins as usual avoiding tribal council, guaranteeing the group a place at the final eleven.
|“||As much as I'm at peace with my position in this group, I want a bit longer out here. I don't feel ready to see my time come to an end, so I just pray that we can pull through today and keep me safe. Also, I know if we stay away from tribal I have an extra three days to try and pull Vince and Julius over to my side...||”|
|“||It sounds bad, but I think losing today could do wonders for our sanity at Sook Jai. These last few days have been horrible dealing with Rick and his... everything. If we lose we can finally get together and vote him out, meaning we'll have one less a*****e around camp.||”|
Challenge: Catch of the Day
On separate platforms, each tribe was given four different types of fish that had been mixed together in a massive pile. The tribes had to separate the four types of fish into four respective bins. First tribe to have successfully separated each type of fish into their corresponding bin would win.
Winner: Chuay Gahn
Information: For Chuay Gahn, Salma and Rachel somewhat struggle to get a good grip on the fish, but keep a steady pace whilst Aaron, Vince and Julius perform well. For Sook Jai, Kanda and Karen prove the best competitors, with Rick and Melissa keeping a steady pace behind them. Phillip however continues dropping fish, not noticing one falling under the tribes table. Sook Jai finish first, but Jeff notes not all their fish have been collected (due to Phillip dropping one), causing the group to frantically search. During this time, Chuay Gahn finish, having correctly placed all their fish, winning them immunity from tribal council.
|Immunity Challenge Catch of the Day|
|Won||Chuay Gahn|| |
Aaron, Julius, Rachel, Salma, Vince
|Lost||Sook Jai|| |
Kanda, Karen, Melissa, Phillip, Rick
The seven Sook Jai members return to camp having just lost the challenge, meaning the group will get their wish to oust one member and bring a change into the camp for the first time in nine days. Rick and Ricardo head down to the ocean to wash their hands, hoping to rid the smell of fish. The other five remain around the shelter, deciding to commence conversation on the upcoming vote.
- So... we're voting Rick right- Karen
- Please...- Kanda
- I'm fine with that.- Estan
- I don't want to vote Rick... I feel he's one of the stronger members here.- Phillip
- How is he one of the stronger people when he sleeps all day?- Kanda
|“||I'm ready to see Rick go home. He's made life difficult for everyone... and I wont miss his presence around camp. One less mouth to feed, and one less mouth to talk rubbish.||”|
- In challenges how will we compete with one less man? We need all the muscle we can get...- Phillip
- So you're voting... a girl?- Melissa
- I didn't say that. I'm just saying I'm not totally comfortable voting Rick.- Phillip
- Then don't do it... but know the rest of us will, he'll go home and you'll be on your own.- Melissa
Phillip heads off down to the water, joining Ricardo and Rick, leaving the girls and Estan alone by the shelter. Phillip informs both Ricardo and Rick that the others are planning on voting for Rick, but that he's not going along with the plan, claiming they should vote for Karen for being the weakest member overall.
|“||The girls all want to target me, and I'm not surprised. They want to keep their little group together, but I know us boys will need to talk it through, and keep our four votes together and go after Karen... she's going tonight and I can't wait. I'll even be chivalrous and help her take her torch over to Jeff!||”|
- Is he down there telling Rick now?- Karen
- Probably...- Kanda
- Oh for f**k sake... forget him.- Melissa
- Ricardo is coming...- Karen
- (arriving back) Ladies... Estan... how are we all feeling?- Ricardo
- What's Phillip saying down there?- Melissa
- Oh... just saying you guys are all plotting to vote Rick and it has to be stopped. But I'm completely down voting for him tonight.- Ricardo
|“||Phillip wants to find a way to derail the plan to get rid of Rick and pull us guys together, but it shouldn't surprise anyone that I won't be aiding that plan. I am much more on side with the girls and Estan than I ever will be with Phillip or Rick.||”|
- What is his... ugh. You guys want to just vote out Phillip tonight? Throw the so called leader from his ship?- Melissa
- (laughs) That would be so sneaky.- Karen
- Let's do it... I'm being serious.- Melissa
- We shouldn't. As much as Phillip can annoy some people he's always been kind to me... I can't get behind that guys. Let's just vote for Rick... we have the five of us here.- Kanda
- Phillip lost us the challenge today! He's been just as if not more useless than Rick.- Melissa
- Maybe... but I'm going to vote Rick, and I'm leaving it at that.- Kanda
- I agree... I've wanted Rick gone now for so long and I don't want to pass up this chance. Anyone want to go wash this stink off our hands?- Karen
- I'll come...- Kanda
- Yeah I'll join you girls in a second.- Melissa
|“||I've really sat back and done nothing these last few days, watching everyone interact and seeing who fits where in the grand scheme of things. Last tribal council I was embarrassed by the result... but not this time. I'm going to try and control each and every aspect of how this vote goes, so that I'm the one making the decisions.||”|
- ... Let's do it.- Estan
- What?- Ricardo
- Let's do it. Us three... vote Phillip.- Estan
- I'd love to. But we need four...- Melissa
- No we don't. No we don't... if Kanda and Karen vote Rick, and the two guys vote...?- Estan
- Karen.- Ricardo
- Right... Karen. Then that's two votes each, but us three can put our votes onto Phillip... he goes home.- Estan
- Damn... would it work?- Ricardo
- It would work. But ... oh my God (laughs). Wouldn't they be mad?- Melissa
|“||I love how Estan's mind works. He's so devious and is here to stir up some crazy. Behind the skinny young kid lies my evil partner in crime (laughs). He's clever. Tonight we can go with this devised plan of getting rid of Phillip, with myself, Ricardo and Estan making the move... or we can play it safe and stick as a group and vote Rick. I'm here to take risks, because if we don't we'll be stuck with Phillip even longer... and somehow he's got a hold over Kanda, which means Karen will follow suit. If we get rid of Phillip on our own, we're going to have Rick still around to vote off should we lose next time... Which gets the five of us to the merge without losing anyone. Nothing can go wrong for us now, it's all falling in place.||”|
The trio agree on their decision, leaving Estan to head down to wash his hands. Ricardo jokes to Estan that the boys will try and speak to him to get him on side to vote Karen, which Estan says he will go along with to "humour them". Melissa and Ricardo remain at camp, talking about the implications of the decision to potentially blindside Phillip. Estan reaches the ocean, and as expected is approached by Rick and Phillip, who begin pitching their idea to vote out Karen.
|“||To really have total control here, I need to start sticking my neck out. I can't wait around and play things safe anymore. So I took a risk and told Phillip and Rick... or Bernie and Ernie... about the new plan that Melissa came up with. Melissa is surprisingly quite game savvy, and out of everyone on this tribe she worries me the most. She's straight talking, unforgiving and knows how to work out numbers and plans... its a dangerous combination.||”|
- I don't wanna go home man... Please... Please don't be sidin' with them.- Rick
- You're not the one really in trouble though...- Estan
- What do you mean?- Rick
- Melissa wants Phil gone...- Estan
- She does?!- Phillip
- Yeah, she said tonight she wants to get rid of the leader.- Estan
- I knew this was happening eventually...- Phillip
- I mean I think she's playing this thing hard...- Estan
- And she's not even someone we need...- Phillip
|“||You give someone the benefit of the doubt and this is what happens. Melissa is an absolute schemer, and I knew my gut instinct about her was bad, but I never expected it to be this bad. I even defended her and said to go after Karen tonight... but she has completely ruined her own game by coming after me tonight. She's finished.||”|
Estan explains how the 3-2-2 split would work to the pair, giving almost a repeated speech that he previously just gave Ricardo and Melissa. The duo agree that Estan's plan works, feeling that they will be making the biggest move of the game by ousting Melissa from the tribe.
|“||There we have it. Three plans, each thinking I'm on board... how I'll decide which one I'm going with is down to which one gets me in the least trouble, and benefits my rise to power in this group. It's all so simple when you use the divide and rule technique... set the people against one another and break them apart, and they'll be easier to control. That's precisely what I've done today... and that's why whoever goes tonight is solely my decision.||”|
At tribal council, the tribe admit to Jeff that avoiding tribal council has had its downsides to the groups cohesion, with fights being "all too common" the past few days. Most of the tribe point out issues with Rick, feeling as though his behaviour (along with Phillip's) has caused friction between the tribe. Phillip and Rick point out the issue with scheming in the tribe, as well as feeling that the tribe needs to prioritise strength in challenges over camp life. Melissa responds by pointing out that in a majority of challenges, Rick and Phillip haven't been strong competitors, with Phillip being the reason the tribe lost the immunity challenge earlier that day. When asked who feels the vote will bring about positive change for the tribe, all seven members raise their hands, which Jeff points out will ironically not be the case when at least one of them is proven to be on the wrong side of the 'positive vote'. Rick begins the voting, confidently writing down 'Melissa' on his parchment. Others follow in almost identical pattern, with Karen happily voting 'Rick' once again. Estan also writes his name without hesitation, clearly feeling as though his final decision is one he will utilise to strengthen his game. Jeff brings back the urn, leaving the group ready to see who will be their second victim fifteen days into the game.
- First vote... Rick.- Jeff Probst
- Second vote... Rick. That's two votes Rick...- Jeff Probst
- Third vote... Melissa.- Jeff Probst
- Fourth vote... Melissa. That's two votes Melissa, two votes Rick.- Jeff Probst
Melissa looks at Ricardo, clearly nervous that her name has come up, having expected to see Karen's name instead. Karen looks equally confused, although clearly relieved.
- Fifth vote... Phillip.- Jeff Probst
- Sixth vote... Phillip. That's two votes Rick, two votes Melissa, two votes Phillip... One vote left!- Jeff Probst
Karen and Kanda look in awe at the results, knowing that the current three way tie is likely to be broken by the seventh and final vote, wondering what happened to the groups plan to vote for Rick. Ironically, Rick, Phillip and Melissa are all seen to be somewhat eager to see the final vote, believing that the 3-2-2 result is about to go the way they intended.
- Seventh vote... Fifth person voted out of Survivor Thailand... Melissa, you'll need to bring me your torch.- Jeff Probst
- Oh my God... Oh my God.- Melissa
- That's what you get girlie!- Rick
Rick slaps Phillip's shoulder, unable to hide their excitement at the biggest blindside of the game so far. Melissa stands slowly, in a state at shock at being voted from the tribe at such an early stage. Ricardo stops covering his mouth in order to hug his eliminated friend, giving him a sense of deja vu to the first tribal council. After Melissa leaves, Ricardo, Kanda and Karen are seen looking around in confusion, putting together the facts to understand what has gone wrong at this tribal council. The remaining six head back to camp, knowing that with this blindside the outwit portion of the game has truly kicked off.
Melissa (3 votes)
Estan, Phillip & Rick
Phillip (2 votes)
Melissa & Ricardo
Rick (2 votes)
Kanda & Karen
|“||You're going home tonight, and it will all be my doing. You've got too game smart, and if you don't go soon you'll be too influential on the others.||”|
|“||Au revior paresseux.||”|
|“||You lay around all day, and your personality is nothing short of awful...||”|
|“||This move will shake up the tribe, and for the better. You aren't a leader, you're not a nice guy to have around, and you're no help in challenges.||”|
|“||You come after the big dogs in this game you better be prepared for the consequences...||”|
|“||Phillip, you brought it on yourself by constantly trying to micromanage everything, and your leadership is just ineffective... You talk about strengthening the group. This is what will strengthen the group.||”|
|“||I'll let you know how that chicken tastes...||”|
|“||Well I didn't see this one coming. I got played, and I assume it was Estan. That little s**t. Why he'd ever side with Rick and Phillip... I really don't know. Maybe the Estan we thought we knew is nothing like his real character. I'm crushed to go so early, as I knew I had a lot more to give... but I'll wish them luck, whatever... I'm not going to sit here and be bitter. I mean they're idiots for doing this, but I'm an idiot for not playing it safe and voting with the girls. Of them all I hope Ricardo goes on to win this, because he deserves it and so much more.||”|
Still In The Running