|"Dancing On An Active Volcano"|
|Episode Number||4/13 (043)|
|First Broadcast||December 2, 2016|
|Previous||I'm Not The Almighty|
|Next||Mussels Over Muscles|
Dancing On An Active Volcano is the fourth episode of Survivor: Marquesas.
Day 9 (Night)
The five remaining Rotu members return to camp having just experienced their most emotional tribal council yet. The group sit together around the fire, reflecting on their turbulent start to the game, knowing with thirty days left they are all at a major disadvantage compared to the rival Maraamu tribe.
- Tonight was just...- James
- It sucked. That's all there is to it. Its gotta happen to everyone at some point.- Tish
- Doesnt make it any easier.- William
- No, no I guess it doesn't.- Tish
|“||Seeing Ursula leave tonight really just left me with a heavy feeling in my heart as we headed back to camp. Unlike the other votes we've experienced, this one truly felt as though I was losing a friend in this game. Our tribe has been through so much in just nine days and its been a bonding mechanism... to see any of the other four leave will just tear a piece of me away each time.||”|
- I just want to say sorry Martin for writing your name down... I know we all said Ursula was the vote but I just couldn't do that to her.- Duana
- Its fine hun, I understand it. (he gives her a reassuring hug) As long as your vote don't send me out I'm good (laughs)- Martin
|“||Knowing that Ursula is now gone does mean I'm the only true individual left on the Rotu beach right now... I mean Martin and William seem to be a tight pair, and James and Tish are together... in a non-sexual way though. This means that either my fears will become a reality and I'll be voted out the next time we lose, or both groups will look at me to become the swing-vote. I feel between the pairs Tish and James are the most dangerous... so I wouldn't hesitate in siding against them... but first I need William or Martin to approach me with a deal.||”|
The group continue to sit around the fire, cementing their tribe unity in hope that it will propel them to their first victory at the next reward challenge.
The Maraamu tribe begin their daily chores later than usual, with the primary reason for this being the majority of the tribe requesting to sleep in. Hillary, Ibrahim and a half-asleep Ryan tend to the fire, all failing to talk to one another whilst their tribe continues to rest.
|“||Today the tribe wanted to 'rest', even though we're out here and if things don't get done then we'll have no water, no way to cook our food... I'm happy to admit I'm what you'd call a workaholic, you know I rise early and make sure what needs to be done gets done... and that's just not how these others work. Young people today are just lazy and expect it to all be done for them, and the only other person on the tribe who really feels the way I do is Ibrahim.||”|
Troy wakes up with Daisy lying close by his side, looking over at the three as they put a pot of water on the fire to boil, somewhat smiling to himself knowing he and the others are being waited on.
|“||Life at Maraamu is pretty much like a messed up holiday right now. I've got my holiday romance with Daisy, my friends Ashley and Lotus living it up out here with me... the awkward valet in Randy. Then we have resort employees Hillary, Ibrahim and Ryan who are there to fulfill our every needs (laughs). I do see myself as an asset to the tribe, but Hillary's sunrise to sunset work plan isn't something any of us want to live by. We've won five challenges in a row, and its not down to the fact that Hillary makes us waste energy at camp that we could otherwise save for the upcoming tasks.||”|
Hillary looks over at the shelter, noticing that Troy and several others have yet to come over to help despite waking up. She sighs heavily, looking over at Ibrahim and Ryan whilst shaking her head.
- Unbelievable...- Hillary
- Don't see why it would be a surprise at this point...- Ibrahim
- I'm beginning to think the sooner we lose the better, these kids will realize we're not here to carry them through.- Hillary
The group in the shelter eventually get up, noticing Hillary's negative attitude towards them. Troy, Ashley and Daisy fluff off her attitude, feeling as though Hillary's leadership is putting stress on the group. To get out of camp, Troy and Daisy go to collect tree mail, informing them that they will be facing their next reward challenge.
|“||After ten days in the Marque...Marq... I can't pronounce it (laughs). Let me start again... After ten days on Maraamu beach, Hillary has gone from helpful workhorse, to manic dictator... She is undoubtedly our hardest worker but she just-never-stops... I mean our tribe has been stuck in this loop for so long with all of us here that everyone feels so entitled to do what they want, and its almost like I want to just get to writing their names down because the sooner myself, Troy, Lotus and Ashley reach the final four... the better.||”|
The Rotu tribe all get up early together to start their daily chores, with Duana, William and James talking by the fire whilst Tish and Martin go off to collect tree mail. William admits he feels optimistic, as the group now have a unanimous feeling of dread when thinking about voting another member out of their tight group.
|“||Right now losing is weighing heavy on all our minds. We know that as of now we're an embarrassment to ourselves, and that Maraamu is probably laughing at how pathetic our performances have been for the last ten days. I'm not an optimist, so I'm not going to say today will be any different... William and Duana on the other hand both seem to feel that change is in the air, and somehow things are about to turn around for our group. We'll have to wait and see...||”|
Tish and Martin collect the tree mail, seeing that they have a reward challenge only an hour away. Tish begins to speculate as to what the group could win, excited by the prospect that Rotu could finally taste victory after suffering defeat after defeat. On the other hand, Martin worries that the group losing again could see their spirits sink lower than before, seemingly dooming them to lose the immunity challenge in the upcoming days.
|“||Today this new Rotu moral has a chance to prove its worth. It'll either see us win and give us a boost in the immunity challenge, or we'll be crushed into dust and probably all go in succession. There's a lot more at stake in this reward challenge than whatever Jeff is offering...||”|
Upon arriving at the 'challenge' area, the still eight strong Maraamu tribe looks over at the depleted Rotu tribe, ready to continue their winning streak. Before the tribes can ponder as to what the challenge may be, Jeff drops a bombshell that there will in fact be no reward, and rather that they will be switching tribes.
|“||When Jeff said to drop our buffs I felt a mixture of relief and utter fear... It was almost as if I was being freed from the failed tribe that was Rotu, but plunging into the unknown.||”|
|“||No. It was just, ugh. This whole game has been about making bonds with the people on my tribe and now that's about to be stripped away because of a random draw!?||”|
Jeff tells the contestants to stand above a disk of their choosing, with each disk standing above a hidden buff, which will signal the designated tribe for the contestant above it. After the remaining thirteen all settle on a disk, Jeff makes them flip over one by one, with the suspense making Lotus laugh in nervousness.
- William remaining a member of Rotu... Randy, now a member of the Rotu tribe... Hillary remaining a member of Maraamu.- Jeff Probst
- Staying at home... (she smiles)- Hillary
|“||When I saw I had pulled a different color to Randy I could've cried with happiness. We knew that as soon as Maraamu lost he was going to be the one to go home, but sending him to the cursed Rotu tribe that is far away is almost as good... I can live with his exile there.||”|
- Lotus remaining a member of Maraamu...- Jeff Probst
- Staying with you mama! (she runs over and hugs Hillary)- Lotus
- Tish, remaining a member of Rotu... Martin now a member of Maraamu.- Jeff Probst
- (mumbles) Darn it...- Martin
Martin walks over to Lotus and Hillary, giving both a slightly awkward hug before looking back over at the Rotu tribe, with both Tish and William giving him half smiles.
- Ibrahim stays a member of Maraamu... Ashley staying a member of Maraamu... Duana now joining the new Maraamu tribe.- Jeff Probst
- (whispering to William) I think its staying eight to five...- Tish
- So much for a new beginning...- William
|“||At this point the new life we all thought we were going to be getting in the game had evaporated. I was seeing people from my tribe be taken away to join Maraamu, people I've been with since day one out here, and now I'm meant to compete against them... We may have all been secretly wishing for a tribe swap to occur, but when it did I think we were almost hoping for a take back.||”|
- Daisy remaining a member of Maraamu... James remaining a member of Rotu... That just leaves Ryan and Troy, one of you will uncover Rotu, one of you will uncover Maraamu.- Jeff Probst
- (whispering) Oh God, Troy.- Ashley
- (uncovers, revealing a blue Rotu buff) ... Damn.- Troy
- Troy, now a member of Rotu. Which leaves Ryan as the last member of Maraamu. We now have two new tribes, with the same numbers advantage as we saw with the original set up. Today there will be no reward challenge, and instead you can all return to your new or old tribes and get to know your new members. Head on out guys, I'll see you in a few days.- Jeff Probst
Troy sighs looking over at his old tribe, seeing he has been separated from his core alliance. Duana and Martin look back at Rotu, realizing they are at a major disadvantage being surrounded by ex-Maraamu members. Both tribes head back to their respective beaches, knowing the game has majorly changed once again.
|New Rotu Tribe|
After the surprise tribe swap, the new Maraamu tribe arrives at the tribe shelter, with Duana and Martin standing awkwardly whilst the others greet them to their new home. Lotus brings the pair a bowl of fruit picked from the nearby jungle, whilst Daisy and Ashley show them around the shelter.
|“||Coming to a new camp with five brand new people surrounding you is a really surreal experience. I think both myself and Martin were really drawn back by how welcoming the group was, especially because we know logically we're two very easy targets for them to pick off if we do end up losing.||”|
- Y'all definitely have better fruit here that's for sure...- Martin
- What is your camp like? Better? Worse?- Hillary
- Bleak compared to this...- Martin
- Yeah, this is definitely an improvement.- Duana
- Well as long as you two are hard workers you'll fit in nicely (she smiles)- Hillary
|“||When Hillary dropped the whole hard workers tune on the new arrivals I wanted to just tell her to shut up. They weren't even here five minutes and she was already trying to impose her overbearing work ethic all over them.||”|
Martin and Duana are shown down the beach by Ryan and Ashley whilst Hillary boils some water for them, leaving Ibrahim, Daisy and Lotus to collect extra firewood, giving them a chance to discuss the new arrivals.
- Well this was unexpected...- Daisy
- You think? Thought we were all waiting for this to happen.- Lotus
- You know what I mean. I thought they'd at least wait a bit longer than nine days.- Daisy
- It could be worse... I mean they both seem pretty nice right?- Lotus
- Yeah, I like them. Just sucks that they're in this position now... and that there's no Randy to vote out.- Ibrahim
|“||After the swap it was a bittersweet moment seeing both Randy and Troy taken to the Rotu tribe, because they were the only two individuals I didn't really like on a personal level in this game. Now we've got Duana and Martin it seems as though they're the easy pickings here... and I suppose the six original Maraamu members will be coming together to vote them out.||”|
Ibrahim takes a bundle of wood back to the camp, leaving Daisy and Lotus alone in the trees to talk quickly amongst themselves. They both worry due to the fact Troy is no longer with them, and that they may be vulnerable if any of their tribe members decide to flip on them. However, Lotus admits that she feels Ibrahim will side with her when it comes to voting, which should mean if need be they will be able to keep the Maraamu vote together. Not wanting the others to speculate they're strategizing, they cut their conversation short and begin heading back to camp with firewood in hand.
|“||This swap has really turned everything on its head, and right now I need to sit down and talk this through with multiple people. The easiest thing to do would be to keep Duana and Martin at arms length so we can send them both home... but right now could be the perfect time to change up this game. My core alliance has gone down now Troy is off on the other tribe, so we need to do whatever we can to recruit new members for the merge. Martin and Duana may be the obvious targets, but if they prove themselves to be floating votes then I've got to put my game face on and pull them to my side... which does mean if necessary an original Maraamu member could be sent home if we're to lose one of the next challenges.||”|
The remainder of the day is spent welcoming Martin and Duana to their new tribe, with everyone doing their best to make them feel comfortable. Despite wanting to talk game, both Lotus and Daisy keep their strategy out of conversation in order to wait for the prime opportunity to speak without interruption from others.
With two new members to replace those that moved to Maraamu, the five members of new-Rotu arrive at the camp, with Troy and Randy looking slightly disappointed at the less aesthetically pleasing camp layout.
|“||Arriving at Rotu was like being kicked out of the Hilton and arriving at the local motel that's got less stars than our solar system... I mean really they have nothing here. Its no wonder they've been losing so badly living in a place like this, or maybe they're as bad as camp care as they are in challenges.||”|
- So welcome guys...- Tish
- Its good to meet you guys, hopefully this is the start of a winning group.- William
- Its uh, good to be here. Nice to see a change of scenery.- Troy
|“||Bringing Troy and Randy back to camp with us just felt wrong. These guys aren't Rotu, they're still the enemy in my mind. The whole time we were welcoming them to our camp and they were both awkwardly just standing there, I was looking at James and I could tell he was trying not to laugh because it was just uncomfortable for all of us. I mean this is slightly wrong but ... THANK YOU LORD! If the past tells us anything its that we're merging at ten, which means we just have to win a single immunity challenge to ensure myself, James and William can make the merge and rejoin with Martin and Duana... That gives us half the guaranteed votes at the merge tribal council. I mean, the likelihood of that happening is slim because lets face it, Rotu haven't won anything yet... and if Maraamu think the same way that I do then either Duana or Martin will be going home if they lose. There's so many variables right now but I cant help thinking that this is the main factor behind why myself, William and James see a comeback in this game.||”|
- So are you three the challenge assets of this group? It looks as though luck was on our side in this one.- Troy
- Well I wouldn't say we've got much challenge success to show for ourselves, but right now I agree... The Lord has smiled on this group (laughs)- William
- Well James was our 'biggest' guy... But as you can see the string bean has got nothing compared to those muscles on you Troy... (she smiles)- Tish
- (laughs)- Troy
|“||During the whole introduction after Troy and Randy arrived, I decided to stay quiet. Something about the two of them just felt strange, and I almost had this animosity against them for daring to come to our camp (laughs). Tish was winding me up going on about how big Troy is and how manly his muscles are... (he rolls his eyes) ... I think he loved the attention she was giving, but I know she was doing it just to p**s me off.||”|
Tish continues 'complimenting' Troy, with James holding back a smile and continuously rolling his eyes. The group talk about their lives back home, with Randy pleasantly surprised at William being a preacher, stating that he's missed having "Godly people" around him. Randy begins to talk about the old Maraamu tribe, revealing key details about the tribe dynamics, particularly both his and Troy's bad relationship with Ibrahim. Despite Troy's efforts to steer the conversation onto a different topic, Randy continues to go on and on about his disliking of the early days on Maraamu, saying how excited he is to be around a new group. During the conversation, Tish looks towards James, with the two of them unable to hide their amusement at Randy's behavior, whilst William tries his best to keep listening.
|“||Randy, uh... He's uh, an odd character. I mean the guy turns up and stands silently whilst we all talk, then comes out with this soliloquy as to why Maraamu was his worst nightmare, and how awful it was he was stuck with the "oppressive Ibrahim". I don't know, the guy is full of s**t. Its almost like we found the person who should already be out of this game, but somehow they've snuck through thanks to the strength of those he professes to hate... the irony.||”|
After finishing their conversations, William suggests that the group get to work on finding some dinner for themselves, before they can settle down and relax for the evening. Without hesitation the group gets to work, ensuring that everything is set in motion for their peaceful evening getting to know one another. Although at a numbers disadvantage, Randy feels positive about his new tribe, believing both he and Troy have a good chance to survive much deeper into the game working with their three new tribe members.
|“||Today my Survivor dreams came true, and I got to say goodbye to Maraamu and throw my buff to the ground. Had I had a little more time I'd have spat on it before walking away from that mess, joining this new group of five who respect me so much more as an individual. Knowing that tomorrow I don't have to wake up to Ibrahim or Hillary is a huge blessing because the two of them did nothing but belittle everyone in their midst. Now all we have to do is concentrate on winning, and hopefully those who were so cocky and arrogant back on Maraamu will see what its like to be on the losing end of this game.||”|
Duana sits alone by the fire in the early hours on day 11, unable to sleep in her new environment. She steadily tends to the fire, looking over at the other seven who are still sleeping.
|“||Waking up tonight I felt this overwhelming loneliness. Its not so much being taken to a new camp, not so much I'm surrounded by new people... its the fact that the one person who came with me from the Rotu tribe was Martin, someone who I was never that close to. Being with Martin isn't the most comforting of positions, because I don't know if he'll do everything to ensure I'm safe... the most likely outcome is that at the next tribal council he and I will be writing each others names down, and one of us goes home.||”|
After an hour of sitting alone, Duana is joined by Daisy, who woke up to see Duana sitting on her own, taking the opportunity to speak privately with her new tribe member.
|“||Waking up and seeing Duana alone was the perfect moment for me to start feeling her out as an individual. Myself and Lotus agreed the simplest way forward would be to vote both Duana and Martin out, as it keeps our games quite clean up to the merge. The point is that we just don't click with certain people on our tribe... and if it comes to needing Duana or Martin's votes down the line I want to be the side they come to when looking for people to work with.||”|
The pair begin by talking about their time in the game so far, before Daisy asks Duana how she's liking her time at Maraamu so far, to which Duana lies telling her she's enjoying it. Daisy slowly leads the conversation into game talk, trying to get an idea as to what Duana's thoughts are.
- I guess you're feeling pretty nervous considering you're in a new group right?- Daisy
- Right. I mean I get it... I know how it is. I don't want to campaign against Martin but I'm feeling it'll come to that...- Duana
- Well, I mean nothing is ever set in stone out here so if you ever want to talk, don't feel you cant approach me. Us girls need to be looking out for each other.- Daisy
- I'd like that. I mean my closest friend in this game was Ursula, so its good to know I can be meeting some new people now.- Duana
The girls spend another thirty minutes bonding, only to be interrupted by Hillary waking up to check the fire. The rest of the tribe soon start to arise, wanting to make the most of the day now they've got two new members to speak with. Hillary stands over Duana and Daisy whilst checking the fire, noticing how the girls seem to have bonded.
- Good to see you all up early today...- Hillary
- Obviously people wanting to enjoy my award winnin' personality (slightly laughs)- Martin
- Surprised you're up so early Daisy. I guess when the game starts people like to take charge (she laughs to herself)- Hillary
Daisy's face drops after Hillary's comment, with Ashley rolling her eyes before going over to sit by her friend. The tribe plunges into an awkward silence, only broken after Hillary goes off with Ibrahim to catch some fish for the tribes breakfast. Lotus walks over to Ashley, Daisy and Duana, with the girls whispering so that Ryan and Martin don't overhear.
- Did you guys just hear her? Is she trying to be funny or does she have some sort of menopausal problem?!- Daisy
- I'm honestly so tired of her c**p... Lets hope Ibrahim comes back alone and she's floated off somewhere.- Ashley
- I think she was just joking...- Lotus
- It doesn't matter. She cant just throw comments like that around.- Ashley
- Exactly. Its uncomfortable enough for the new guys here without her making it seem like they're just pawns...- Daisy
- No, no don't worry its fine. I didn't realize you guys had an issue with her.- Duana
- She's a hard worker but she just... has a way with doing things.- Lotus
|“||Getting an insight into the Maraamu tribe today was definitely useful for my own game, especially knowing that Daisy and Ashley really don't like Hillary, who seemed like the leader when we arrived yesterday. I don't know if this is a sign that if we do lose there's a chance the Maraamu tribe could vote against each other, or if its just me looking too deep into a situation that wont amount to much. Rather than to push too hard right now, I want to sit back and just float on by whilst observing a little deeper into the dynamics... then if we do lose tomorrow, I'll have more knowledge in knowing who to talk to and which name I need to be writing down.||”|
|“||The slight bit of... controversy in todays camp was after a comment made by Hillary concerning Daisy blatantly trying to strategize with Duana. I mean it sucks that Hillary had to make the comment, because its just made Ashley and Daisy even more desperate to get rid of her... But I really don't think Daisy can blame Hillary for calling out what she saw. The good side to it was that Daisy twisted it quite well to seem like Hillary sees Duana and Martin as nothing more than pawns... So perhaps it'll keep Duana firmly in our group for now. If I was to predict how things will go if we lose tomorrow, I'd say that to keep the boat as steady as possible Martin needs to go home. Then, and only then can we look into the possibility to voting out Hillary, because to do that too soon would alienate Ibrahim and Ryan, because both have already made it clear they don't want to split up our tribe. Right now its like we're all dancing on an active volcano... We're trying to keep on a brave face before eventually it blows its top and chaos engulfs this camp.||”|
The rest of the day sees the tribe do very little other than their daily chores, with Duana growing closer to the other girls at camp, whilst Martin feels more in common with other mature tribe member Hillary, with the two appreciating one another's strong work ethic.
The Rotu tribe awaken to the sound of Randy breaking up firewood, much to the annoyance of Troy, who intended to sleep in during his first morning at his new home. William decides to go and help Randy, not wanting to leave him to do the task alone. James, Tish and Troy lie in the shelter looking over at Randy whilst he works.
- I'm sorry but is he normal? How did you guys not willingly go to tribal to vote him out...- Tish
- Honestly I think it crossed all our minds...- Troy
- Well remind me he's on our tribe when we go to the challenge tomorrow and maybe I'll just happen to keep falling over... (laughs)- Tish
- I'm sorry but no matter how annoying Randy is, I'm not losing this next challenge...- James
- True, and I need to make sure there's as little chance to returning to tribal after Randy is gone because I know I'd be next...- Troy
- Oh don't worry... If we lose a challenge he's gone. After that we can all enter panic mode.- Tish
|“||Moving tribes is somewhat a blessing when the person who came with me was Randy, who is just the biggest mess of an individual in this game. Its a shame because I've been building Randy up to be a vote for me come merge, but as of now fate has decided that I've got to cut Randy loose, and make it to the new merge with this group. Out of everyone here I gel quite well with Tish, I think she has a thing for me if I'm being honest. James is a cool guy too, its nice to have someone young out here who isn't socially awkward or a complete geek. I cant help shake the feeling that James is a bit jealous of mine and Tish's bonding (laughs). He probably liked being the alpha male of this tribe, and now he's got all of me to compete with. Things honestly couldn't be better right now... at least in terms of the group I'm with. Of course I could still be back with my original alliance, but I have a good feeling that this group can win challenges and avoid going to tribal council... and even if we do it'll be Randy who heads on home.||”|
Troy eventually gets up to go and help William and Randy with the chores, not wanting to be perceived as lazy, leaving James and Tish alone in the shelter.
- I like him.- Tish
- What as a person or to look at?- James
- Both. Are you getting jealous?- Tish
- No, you can have him.- James
- You know what I meant! (she laughs)- Tish
- ... I think he's a bit of an ass to be honest. He's full of himself. Still, he's better than Randy... I mean he's too much.- James
- Yeah, I wonder what William thinks of all this. I haven't had a chance to speak with him properly since yesterday.- Tish
- I think he just wants to keep his eye on a united front... even though that never came in handy before.- James
|“||Our tribe right now isn't too exciting in that we've got both Troy and Randy trying to fit in to ensure its the other that gets voted out first. They're not trying to pull any of us over as far as I'm aware, and both myself and Tish feel that if we're to lose again that it'll be Randy as an easy vote. Personally I'm not too comfortable with Troy right now, but I think its just not being able to trust someone a day after meeting them, and I'm worried that Tish is too impressed by his physique to be aware that he too is playing a game out here.||”|
After spending their day doing very little beyond camp chores, the group talk about the strength of their opposition, with the group pointing out that only Ibrahim is truly a physical threat on the new Maraamu tribe, although Randy claims that he "isn't that strong". William manages to speak briefly to James in private, saying he likes both Troy and Randy as individuals, but that he doesn't trust either of them as game players, feeling as though they will try to make a move against the original Rotu members if they have to.
Both tribes are given tree mail informing them of their next immunity challenge, with Martin, Duana, Troy and Randy the most nervous individuals, knowing that if their respective tribes lose that they will likely be facing elimination from the game.
|“||Today we're going into our first challenge as a new tribe, and I almost feel as if losing today may be the best thing for our tribe. Knowing that Troy is at risk on Rotu really does give me the drive to want to put my own neck on the line by going to tribal council, because I feel confident that myself, Daisy and Lotus can be the ones to decide whether tonight we send home Martin... or if we surprise the entire game by taking out Hillary.||”|
|“||I am concerned that if we lose myself and Troy are at risk, but if you were to ask me if I think we'll be the ones losing? No. I don't see myself or Troy going anywhere for some time... Our new tribe is too strong to be beaten by the backwards individuals still at Maraamu.||”|
Challenge: Life's a Tapestry
Tribes must solve a tapestry puzzle. First tribe to complete wins.
Information (Maraamu): James, Randy, Tish and William perform well as a group, with only Troy somewhat struggling to get his head around the puzzle. In the end the entire group perform solidly together, bringing Rotu to its first ever win.
Information (Rotu): Ashley, Daisy and Ibrahim perform well in the challenge, whilst Duana and Hillary struggle somewhat after both trying to direct the group. Although no one performs badly, an early mix up costs them dearly, with the group unable to finish before their rivals.
|Immunity Challenge: Life's a Tapestry|
James, Randy, Tish, Troy, William
Ashley, Daisy Duana, Hillary, Ibrahim
Ryan, Martin, Lotus
Having just experienced their first loss as a new tribe, as well as the first lost entirely for six of its members, the Maraamu tribe arrive back at camp knowing that for many of them the game will truly begin tonight. Duana and Martin both look disheartened, knowing the likelihood is that one of them will soon be picked as the tribes first victim. Not wanting her game to come to an end, Duana decides to get the ball moving quickly, approaching Hillary, Ibrahim, Ryan and Lotus whilst they all stand by the water.
- Hey guys...- Duana
- Oh, hey Duana...- Ryan
- Listen guys I'll make this quick. I know tonight you'll be making the decision between myself and Martin, and I feel I need to just give you my case as to why I should be kept over him. Back at Rotu Martin always voted with the majority of the tribe, and he was really close with both William and James. Myself, I voted in the majority only two of the three times, and on the third vote I lost the only person I was really close to... Right now I'm a free vote, and unlike Martin I don't have an allegiance with people on the other side who I'm looking to go back to. I need to find a group to stick with and tonight I hope you make yourselves the group I come to.- Duana
Duana leaves the group to think about their options, with the four slightly speechless at her sudden ballsy attitude. As Duana heads over to Ashley and Daisy, Hillary decides to speak to the other three members about her plea.
- I didn't like that...- Hillary
- Like what?- Ryan
- That whole speech she just gave. Totally threw him under the bus...- Hillary
- What did you expect her to do?- Ibrahim
- Realistically she's fighting for her game. If what she's saying is true then Martin probably is the best choice.- Lotus
- No, I personally don't like it. She just showed herself to be cutthroat, and if she does that to someone she's been with for this whole game then she'll cut any of our throats at the merge. Also, keep this between us four... I don't like how much she's been speaking with Daisy and Ashley... We can control Martin, and I think Duana will be swayed more by them than she will by us. If the numbers keep falling to those girls they'll be unstoppable as a trio, and tonight we can squash that.- Hillary
- What do we do then? Vote Duana?- Ibrahim
- Yes, but we tell Duana we're voting Martin... If we cant convince Daisy and Ashley to do the same then we lie to them too... I'll speak with Martin and he'll vote with us, that's five... that's all we need.- Hillary
|“||After the challenge Duana really let her mask slip and I saw someone who was so driven to succeed in this game that she was willing to cut the throat of the one person who she's been with since we got shipwrecked out here. I don't want someone like that on my side, so I had to make the call and tell the others no, and that tonight Duana will be going home...||”|
Hillary goes off with Ibrahim to let Martin know what Duana has been saying, although Martin seems un-phased, having expected Duana to be campaigning against him. In return, Martin tells the duo that he'd happily be a vote with them, stating if they make the merge they can use his bonds on the other tribe to get a group against the younger girls in the game.
|“||Duana is going round telling people I should be the one to go home because I got friends... Well guess what in this game you need friends, and my friends will come in handy at the merge for people like Hillary and Ibrahim when their tribe self implodes. I feel good, because I know I got them two, Ryan and Lotus all voting Duana, so I don't think I even need to be packin' my bag tonight.||”|
|“||Martin admitted to us that he did have connections on the other tribe, but his whole argument was that this was something we could utilize at the merge. My hat goes off to him because he turned Duana's whole argument against her, and I think helped put the final nail in her coffin.||”|
Elsewhere, Duana finishes making her plea to Ashley and Daisy, both of whom admit they decided to vote Martin if they lost the previous day. Ashley tells Duana not to worry, as Lotus and Ibrahim will be joining them in voting Martin out, and that its unlikely Hillary and Ryan will vote against the majority of the tribe. Before the girls can disperse, Lotus approaches them, asking to be filled in on what was said.
- We were just letting Duana know she's good tonight. You can get Ibrahim to write down Martin, and then Hillary and Ryan follow. If its not unanimous I'll be shocked...- Ashley
- Ibrahim is good with it right?- Daisy
- (says nothing, looks worried)- Lotus
- What is it?- Daisy
- He's voting me?- Duana
- Well... (sighs) they all want to vote you tonight.- Lotus
- What?!- Duana
- Oh my God... why?- Ashley
|“||I decided it was the best thing for my game to tell the girls about what Hillary had said, because at the end of the day my alliance is with these girls, and I don't want to jeopardize my relationship with them for the sake of playing too safe. I know this will either take me to power or see my game come crashing down, but no one ever won this game by avoiding risks.||”|
- Hillary said she thinks you're too much of a game player...- Lotus
- Why?- Duana
- Because of your plea... and...- Lotus
- And what?- Duana
- And she doesn't like that you're close with Ash and Daisy...- Lotus
- WHAT!? Oh my God you must be joking...- Daisy
- That crazy b***h...- Ashley
|“||Is Hillary out of her mind? Every single thing I do in this game seems to rub her the wrong way, and yes I've been making alliances, yes I've been setting myself up socially... But she drew the line in the sand today after she outright told Lotus she wants people out who are close to me. She took the first shot, but I'll fire back and you best believe I'll be on target.||”|
After explaining the situation, the girls begin to panic, not wanting the vote to be a 4-4 split between Martin and Duana. Daisy decides to say "she has to go" in reference to Hillary, with Ashley and Duana quickly jumping on board, wanting to blindside the Maraamu leader after her earlier comments. Lotus worries that the blindside would stir up too much trouble, but soon agrees it is the only viable option in order to prevent a split, but that they would need to get Martin on board. Duana volunteers to speak with Martin, feeling as though the plan would best be delivered coming from her.
|“||Hearing that fighting for my game has put the target firmly on my head really threw me off, because now I don't know whether it would've been smarter to sit back and shut my mouth. I'm scared that Martin has been turned to vote with Hillary and the two boys... but it cant hurt to really push for him to switch sides, because right now we have the opportunity to take someone out without either of us going home.||”|
Duana approaches Martin, asking him how he's feeling, to which he replies that he's nervous. Duana tells him that it "sucks" they have to campaign against one another, before telling him that she's heard other options.
- What if I told you there was a way both of us can ensure we stay tonight...?- Duana
- Truthfully right now... I think I'm good. I hate to say it hun but they all said they're voting you.- Martin
- They're not! Trust me Martin because we don't have long. If we don't do anything it will be a four-four split... But the girls are tired of Hillary controlling this group and said tonight they want to make a move... All we need is for you to write her name down and she's gone.- Duana
- ... I, uh. I don't know. How do I know this aint some ploy to get me to throw my vote so I go?- Martin
- Martin please... If you don't trust it vote for me then, but it'll be a tie... Please if it comes to a tie change your vote! I swear on everything I love this is real and tonight we have a chance to save both our asses... If I go tonight what makes you think you'll last any longer down the line. We've got to stick together...- Duana
|“||I'm all set for tribal council, reminding myself how to spell Duana... They suddenly you know... You speak of the Devil and he shall appear, she comes running down the beach to speak with me saying that now I got to vote Hillary. I don't know if she wants me to throw my vote and I'll be made to look stupid or somethin'... Duana has been campaigning against me all day, and its hard to believe that suddenly she's after Hillary and we're saved. I don't know what to believe out here but I best start reconsiderin' about packing a bag.||”|
Whilst gathering their belongings for tribal, Ibrahim, Hillary and Lotus throw some firewood down to ensure the fire is still lit for when they return.
- You ok? (puts his hand on Lotus' shoulder)- Ibrahim
- I'm fine, just nervous...- Lotus
- We'll get through it together...- Ibrahim
- Dont worry kiddies... We'll be fine. Its tough but better now than never.- Hillary
|“||For the past few minutes my mind has been back and forth, back and forth, back and forth... I don't know what I'm doing tonight because I really could be blowing my own game up for the sake of Duana, who I don't even know very well. Maybe she is a game player, maybe I'm saving the person who will cut my throat down the line. I don't see a scenario where Duana going means Daisy and Ashley are anymore at risk than Duana staying... Right now I have Ibrahim's trust, and he's my key to the other side of Maraamu... If I damage that trust with Ibrahim then the key no longer works, and I isolate myself. I don't think a blindside is worth isolation... but maybe a million dollars is...||”|
At tribal council the six original Maraamu members light their torches for the first time, all smiling with anticipation before their first ever vote, whilst Martin and Duana feel all too familiar with the atmosphere of tribal council. Duana and Martin admit they've been welcomed into the tribe by the others, and that the camp itself is much nicer than Rotu. When asked if the numbers speak for themselves, Hillary states that you would not be wrong in suggesting either Martin or Duana will be leaving. Duana speaks of trust, claiming that old tribal lines dont matter "if you cant trust those you were originally stuck with", which gains a slow nod from Daisy and Ashley. Martin tells Jeff that he almost didnt pack his bag, much to everyone's surprise, but that he is now "so unsure" that he couldn't help but bring everything he had. Before voting, Duana makes one last plea, telling her tribe that they need to look at what will get them further in the game, as opposed to what feels like the cleanest moves. After the voting, Jeff brings back the urn, with Duana looking over at Martin, trying to get a feel as to how he voted. Lotus looks straight ahead, not wanting to look at her tribe members, tapping her foot frantically on the floor.
- First vote... Duana.- Jeff Probst
- Second vote... Duana.- Jeff Probst
- Third vote... Hillary.- Jeff Probst
- Oh..? (looks at Duana)- Hillary
- Fourth vote... Hillary. Thats two votes Hillary, two votes Duana.- Jeff Probst
- Fifth vote... Duana. That's three votes Duana, two votes Hillary.- Jeff Probst
- Sixth vote... Hillary. That's three votes Hillary, three votes Duana.- Jeff Probst
- Seventh vote... Hillary. That's four votes Hillary, three votes Duana... One vote left.- Jeff Probst
- Please... please...- Duana
Duana clutches her hands together, whilst a confused trio of Ibrahim, Hillary and Ryan look at their tribe mates, with their eyes drifting between Martin and Lotus.
- Last vote... fourth person voted out of Survivor Marquesas... Hillary. You'll need to bring me your torch.- Jeff Probst
- Wow... you guys.- Hillary
Hillary stands, gently patting Ibrahim on the shoulder as she collects her torch, taking it over to Jeff whilst trying to process what led her to this moment. Duana tries to hide her excitement, putting her hand on Martin's and quietly thanking him for trusting her. Lotus slowly looks at Ibrahim, trying to get a reassuring reaction. However, he coldly looks over to her, then back at his friend as she exits the tribal council area, feeling as blindsided by the result as she did. The remaining seven return to camp, with the group now more divided than ever.
Hillary (5 votes)
Ashley, Daisy, Duana, Lotus & Martin
Duana (3 votes)
Hillary, Ibrahim & Ryan
|“||You are a really jealous lady, and maybe this will teach you not to be so bossy.||”|
|“||Hillary, had you not been so desperate to put me and my friends down at every opportunity... then this would be going differently. Instead you dug your own grave.||”|
|“||I came to you hoping that we would work together, and it could have been a clean and easy vote against Martin. You came for me, and this is my way of fighting back... I just hope if there's a tie that it'll break in my favour.||”|
|“||Duana you are a little firecracker, and before you blow up in all our faces its best to send you out now. You just got unlucky with the swap.||”|
|“||You're a nice enough girl, but I think you expect it to be yourself or Martin, as tribe loyalty does need to come into play despite all you said tonight about trust.||”|
|“||You're a hard worker, a nice lady and this does feel quite premature... Sadly, you left me with few options after you drew the line between yourself and the girls, and I'm sorry that my place has to be against you.||”|
|“||I went from thinking I was done for, to thinking I was safe, to thinking I was in trouble again... and somehow this has led me to be writing your name down. You're a tough lady, but I've got to look at what can get me further.||”|
|“||You and I didn't really talk much, and I don't see you as being someone I could work with going into the merge. Has to be you, sorry.||”|
|“||This was most certainly a big surprise. In no way did I think I was leaving tonight, and I didn't even bring most of my belongings. I suppose I got too safe in my own mind, and forgot I was playing with very childish individuals. Daisy and Ashley both had it in for me and their lack of morals and laziness just contradicted everything I believe in as an individual. I don't know who else voted for me... Duana, Martin... maybe Ryan too. I just don't understand this decision, but I hope it was down to me being too threatening rather than them believing that they can do any better without me... I wont be surprised to see this group go downhill now, and I cant say I'm too sad about that either.||”|
Still In The Running