|Episode Number||12/13 (064)|
|First Broadcast||January 5, 2018|
|Previous||Basic Human Responses|
|Next||Fiction Becomes Reality|
Convince is the twelfth episode of Survivor: Thailand.
Day 33 (Night)
After Karen's elimination, the final five return to camp with tensions between certain individuals at an all time high. Phillip, feeling betrayed by both Salma and Aaron, decides to expose the pair after being the only individual to vote alongside Karen.
- Good job... good job you guys. You played me you two... You think you can trust people out here and then they screw you.- Phillip
- I don't remember giving you my word on anything...- Salma
- Not so much you... But Aaron, you really turned on me tonight. Anything we had is done...- Phillip
- Can we speak about it tomorrow?- Aaron
- I don't want to hear anything you've got to say about it...- Phillip
|“||The plan was to vote out Julius, and we were going to take control of this game as a four. Instead, I'm left voting for him with Karen, and the others screw me over by leaving me in the dark. They could've just told me we're not doing it tonight, vote for Karen... but instead they allow me to look like a fool and now I'm the next one to go. My only play now is to use Aaron's disloyalty against him.||”|
- So before I go to bed... I'm going to say it. Julius and Vince, these two here wanted you gone... especially Aaron... they're playing both sides, and you need to keep an eye on people like that. The funny thing is though... now there's two pairs here and I'm the swing... So well done Aaron, you've played yourself out of this game...- Phillip
- Okay...- Aaron
Julius, Vince and Salma remain relatively silent during the ordeal, letting Phillip berate Aaron without getting involved themselves.
|“||Tonight Phillip was left out of the vote against Karen. I mean he knew that she'd be getting votes, but he was generally unaware that myself and Salma were going to be voting against her rather than against Julius. I don't regret not telling him, because the last day highlighted Phillip's instability and controlling attitude, and if we voted Julius out I think Phillip would try and take credit, and that it would result in Vince trying his hardest to get myself or Phillip out next. Phillip is now threatening me by saying he's a swing vote and it'll be a 2-2 split with him acting as the decider between two pairs... which would be true... if Salma and I were an official pair... he might think I'm finished in this game, but I think come next tribal council the loose cannon will finally roll off the sides of our ship.||”|
The tribe awaken to a delivery at their camp, finding a full body mirror placed alongside the instructions for the final reward challenge of the season.
|“||Waking up today we found a uh, mirror... for the camp. It was our first real chance to look at our reflections properly in thirty four days. You know, you catch an occasional glimpse of yourself in the water... but it's so distorted compared to a mirrors reflection. I was horrified when I saw my face... because I like to look good, I like to wear makeup and use foundations and creams... and I'm stood here a month on from my last groom... and I'm looking like a monster.||”|
- Oh my God! Look at my skin... I'm sagging!- Salma
- I've lost so much weight...- Vince
- Aaron you're looking like a rugged Jesus!- Salma
- (laughs) I've never had a beard this length... I don't think it works for me.- Aaron
|“||I'm going to request that when this show is aired, that you use special effects to make me look a little less... dead. Thank you in advance.||”|
- Last reward guys... what do you think it'll be?- Vince
- I think a car...- Julius
- Not food?- Vince
- Last one wont be food... It'll be something big.- Julius
|“||We have our last reward coming up, and even though most of my energy will be put towards the immunity challenge, I'd like to finally experience a reward and make sure that someone other than Vince goes on it...||”|
The final five head off to the reward challenge, excited to discover what lays ahead for the last reward during their time in Thailand.
Challenge: Letter Hunt
The tribe had to race to solve a word puzzle. First, they had to collect a series of placards, each bearing an English letter, which they would have to acquire at successive stations along a course. Once they had gathered all the letters, they would have to unscramble them to form two mystery words. First person to spell out the words correctly would win.
Reward: A Chevrolet Trailblazer and a full Thai dinner and massage.
Winner: Salma (shared with Aaron)
|Reward Challenge: Letter Hunt|
Aaron, Julius, Phillip, Vince
Julius, Vince and Phillip return to camp after not being chosen by Salma to join her on the overnight reward, leaving them alone for the remainder of the day. Phillip surprisingly seems content with losing the challenge, glad to have gotten some alone time with Vince and Julius, hoping to put together a three man alliance for the next tribal council.
|“||I wanted that reward, and I would've been thrilled to have been chosen by Salma just to experience this night away from camp... but because I'm in such a bad position right now, things have worked out amazing for my game. I wanted an opportunity to speak with Vince and Julius so that I could organise a pact for the next tribal council... and Salma ridiculously gave me the opportunity to do just that.||”|
- So uh... some reward right?- Phillip
- Yeah, I'm jealous of that one. Salma did good with that one though.- Vince
- How do you both feel about her picking Aaron? It doesn't shock me considering how they played the last tribal council...- Phillip
- Yeah... I think a lot of it had to do with Aaron also not going on a reward. So she wanted to take him because of that.- Julius
- I've not been on a reward... So why not pick me?- Phillip
- But between you and Aaron... Salma is closer to him, so it makes sense... right?- Vince
|“||Coming back from the reward, I think both Julius and I knew that Phillip would try and talk strategy against Aaron and Salma, because he announced to the group last night after tribal council that it was his intention to vote against them...||”|
Phillip continues to run Aaron and Salma down throughout the day, with Julius and Vince giving short responses, not truly wanting to get into deep strategic conversations with him.
|“||All day, Phillip has been going back and forth between myself and Vince, saying the same three of four lines over and over... and over. (sighs) It's just tiring because we want to be like "shut up, we get it!". But with Phillip you've got to babysit him, and make sure he thinks you're on his side. Is there a chance that he'll be used to vote out Aaron or Salma at the next tribal council? Of course! But if he thinks I'm going to confirm that with him two days before tribal... when he could easily use the information to solidify a rift between us and them.||”|
Vince and Julius stand on the beach together looking at the fishing nets, whilst Phillip sits alone by the caves stoking the fire.
- He's driving me insane...- Vince
- I know. I know. Just, make sure you don't say too much and accept whatever he's proposing...- Julius
- It's not even that I disagree with him, it's just that once he's said it... I don't need to hear it fifteen more times.- Vince
Back in the caves, Phillip sits with a faint smile on his face, feeling pleased with how the day turned out despite losing the final reward challenge, making him the only person left in the game not to have experienced an individual reward.
|“||My fate in this game is changing, and I owe Salma a big thank you for allowing this moment to happen, because without her winning and leaving the camp with Aaron I wouldn't have been given such a perfect set up to make my arrangements with Julius and Vince. Ideally you want people like Julius and Vince out of this game... but I'd rather take on the bigger threats at the end and win, then stick with the others and have my trust betrayed again.||”|
Salma and Aaron drive off in Salma's new vehicle, excited to begin their overnight reward. Aaron continuously thanks Salma during the ride, which she tells him was "an easy decision", feeling that the two of them deserved to experience the final reward after going without one for so long.
|“||The choice to take Aaron felt quite easy for me. He and I haven't had a reward yet, and Julius and Vince had... the only other person therefore was Phillip... and I'd rather drive the car off the edge of a cliff than spend an entire night alone with Phillip I'm afraid (laughs).||”|
- Before we get there... I want to just ask... Are we not being risky here by letting Phil-...- Aaron
- Stay back at camp with the others? I had thought of that. I think the best thing for us is to just keep up that he wants to get Julius out because he's a threat... Keep him in his hole and bury him before tribal.- Salma
|“||I am so grateful that Salma picked me to come out on this reward. She and I started this game quite close, and circumstances kind of pulled us apart... and even though we've remained civil there's always been a bit of awkwardness between us. To me this gesture means a lot, and with Phillip singling me out as his next target... it's nice to have support off someone else at camp.||”|
The pair eventually arrive at the location of their overnight stay, finding a table set up with food and drink for them to enjoy. The duo run over, excited to have their first proper meal in some time. After an hour or eating and drinking, the pair find themselves becoming somewhat tipsy from the alcohol that was on offer.
|“||I'm a red wine girl. Hell, I'm an alcohol girl... I like to have the occasional drink, and I am not... not a lightweight. But, when you've been starving for so long and haven't had much to drink it does go straight to your head... It's the same with the beer we had before... which I also loved...||”|
- We need... we need to get Phillip out.- Aaron
- Yes!- Salma
- He's just too much now. I thought maybe we could get him on our side... but he doesn't want that... So we've got no choice here.- Aaron
- We are stuck... because then it just goes to two pairs for the next round... and it'll be a tie.- Salma
- It will... but I want you to know I'll draw a rock for you...- Aaron
- I'll draw one for you two sweetie... now... give me a hug and help me find the shower because I'm seeing double right now (cackles)- Salma
Salma and Aaron gingerly make their way towards the enclosed outdoor shower, laughing due to the effect the alcohol is having in their systems. Salma eventually gets into the shower, whilst Aaron gathers some of the left over alcohol to take back to the others.
|“||They will be happy to see this... and I'll say to them please don't vote me out guys... I have wine. If that doesn't work then they're not human.||”|
Salma finishes her shower and heads over to the bedding area, where a masseuse waits for her arrival. She lays down, enjoying the Thai massage whilst Aaron finds his way into the shower.
Aaron eventually leaves the shower and arrives for his massage, laying down besides Salma. Once the massages have finished, both the masseuses leave, giving Aaron and Salma the chance to fall asleep on comfy bedding for the first time in thirty-four days.
Julius and Vince sit on the beach waiting for the return of Aaron and Salma, leaving Phillip to lay inside the cave and sleep in. They see the boat approaching in the distance, glad to have their old tribe members back after a whole day without them.
|“||When you've spent so long around the same few people you naturally get attached to them, and I have missed both Aaron and Salma the last day... If we're going into the next tribal and based the vote on who we all liked the least... Phillip would go next. But we've got to look into the long term strategy... and if I feel that Aaron and Salma have got a planned final two bond then one of them will have to go.||”|
Aaron and Salma walk back onto the beach out of the shallow water, immediately presenting Julius and Vince with two bottles of wine, calling Phillip down so he's not left out of the hand over of gifts.
|“||Julius and Vince both brought back some gifts from their last reward, and I felt it was only fair that Salma and I should do the same. We couldn't really get our hands on any food that would keep... so hopefully the wine will do, and make sure Julius and Vince both know that our intention is to go Chuay Gahn until the final four. As much as the wine was a gift for Chuay Gahn... it's not fair to leave Phillip out... and you know I don't like seeing people ganged up on or treated unfairly... So I made sure he was invited down and given some of the wine.||”|
The three who stayed behind all thank the duo for the wine, offering to drink it alongside a dinner of chicken for what will be one of their last evenings in Thailand. Julius, Aaron and Phillip take the wine up to the camp, with the latter killing and preparing the chicken for boiling.
|“||It was difficult to get a read on things when Aaron and Salma returned from their reward. They were all smiles and bearing gifts... which from my own experience I know is a game move. I assume they're aware that Phillip would've been lobbying against them throughout the day, and I'd be interested to see what their play is moving forward. It's unlikely they'll try and get myself or Vince to vote the other out, meaning their only move is to try and oust Phillip or get him on their side... but at this stage I know if anyone's getting Phillip's loyalty it's Vince and myself.||”|
Whilst collecting firewood by the jungles edge, Vince and Salma talk about the reward and the environment back at camp, wanting to update one another on information they may have missed.
- So how was it? The reward? I mean the car was amazing.- Vince
- Oh it's beautiful. The reward though was... special. I just needed to eat and relax... and you know that's why I couldn't take you or Julius because you guys have already had it... and I wanted Aaron to feel good with us moving forward.- Salma
- Of course... yeah. I get it. So you guys want to do Phillip next?- Vince
- Yeah. Don't you!?- Salma
- We do... we do... but he did try when you guys were gone. All day it was just we've got to get Aaron out... and he went on and on about it.- Vince
- Sheesh... Well I mean you know of everyone here you're who I feel closest to. If you think that Julius is going to call it against someone other than Phillip... please have my back... if it's gotta be Aaron then just let me know.- Salma
Vince promises to do so, giving Salma a reassuring hug before the pair return to the main group with the firewood. The group all sit down later that evening to eat the chicken and share in the wine, with Aaron and Salma taking smaller portions due to having eaten better the previous day.
|“||I think I've played it well since we got back to camp. I'm trying to be everyone's friend... my main partner right now is Aaron, and he's who I would ideally like to go to the end of this game with. But I've got to remember that I'm looking out for myself first and foremost... so if the numbers want Aaron gone next then he has to go home, and I've got my backup relationship with Vince ready if that situation arises. Phillip and Julius need to go soon, as I don't think either has a true bond with me at this stage... but based on the simplicity of the move, we need to get rid of Phillip next... and I think I can convince Vince... that it wont be a 2-2 split if that happens... but a 3-1 divide with Aaron on his own... (laughs) .... convince Vince... that's all it takes.||”|
The remaining five members of Chuay Jai arise in order to take on their next individual immunity challenge, with the levels of uncertainty surrounding the next tribal council causing almost everyone to become paranoid that they need to be the one to win.
|“||This challenge is important for all of us, because I don't think anyone other than Phillip feels particularly vulnerable... but it's not knowing how vulnerable you are that usually means you're the one going home.||”|
|“||I've got to win today because I know I am in trouble being the last of my original tribe... but I think that as long as Aaron doesn't win then I've got a good shot to stay in this game. So I hope that I come back to camp wearing immunity... but I really hope that anyone but Aaron comes back wearing it.||”|
Challenge: Step on Up
The Survivors would start at the base of a ten-step staircase. Each step of the staircase was part of a jigsaw, the pieces of which lay in a jumble at the foot of the staircase. The Survivors had to gather their missing pieces and build their way to the top of the stairs to the finishing platform. First person to have successfully completed their staircase and climb to the top would win.
|Immunity Challenge: Letter Hunt|
Aaron, Julius, Phillip, Vince
The group return to camp with Salma wearing the immunity necklace for the second time, guaranteeing her a one in four shot of winning the game. Everyone seems pleased for Salma, particularly Phillip, who now feels his plans of voting out Aaron have fallen into place.
|“||Salma won today, Aaron is able to be voted out. I couldn't have asked for a better result. These last few days I was worried my game would be coming to an end, instead the Survivor Gods lined everything up to get me into the final four, and one step closer to the million dollars.||”|
- Good job Salma.- Vince
- Thank you... I'm glad to be wearing it.- Salma
- I'm just going to say because I don't want any more bad blood... Aaron, I hope after this game we can go for a beer... but I'm writing your name down, and I think it's best for everyone if you're the next to go... But I'll shake your hand and say good luck.- Phillip
- Uh, okay... Sure thing man. Good luck to you too...- Aaron
|“||It was somewhat ... nice ... of Phillip to try and make what he thought were amends before tribal council, but it did get the hairs on my neck standing on end because I know he's writing my name down tonight, and the way he delivered the apology sounded like he's sure that it'll be me tonight, meaning Julius and Vince may have given him the go ahead on voting for me... if the three of them do that them I'm gone next.||”|
- (whispering) Is it me?- Aaron
- No...!- Salma
- You're sure?- Aaron
- As far as I know... unless they're lying to me too. I spoke with Vince before and he said it's a go on Phillip.- Salma
- (sighs) I hope so...- Aaron
|“||I can't really tell Aaron that there's a chance he could be going tonight, because I've not really been assured either way that he or Phillip will be going home tonight. I'm going to try and get Vince on his own again, and hope that he can confirm a vote against Phillip, and then I'll say at the final four we can vote Aaron out and go to the final two together. This should be enough to comfort him and not raise any alarms in his head that his best move would be voting Aaron out tonight, and going to the end with Phillip... who anyone in this game would beat. I thought about what I said yesterday that it's all about convincing Vince, or to just convince... or is it to con-Vince... I'm just having fun with my words in my head, it's how I got through thirty-six days with these liars (laughs).||”|
Salma manages to get Vince on his own, wanting to discuss the vote with him so that she can see where the numbers are going, whilst also trying to sway his mind onto voting Phillip out of the game.
- So we're doing Phillip?- Salma
- I think so... but it might be wiser to go for Aaron. It's just the uncertainty around him that worries us.- Vince
- I don't see him being an issue though. He hasn't won any challenges yet... He's on his own... He doesn't make any of us want to leave camp... And if he does win immunity... it's probably me going anyway. If anyone's making a risk keeping him here tonight it's me.- Salma
- So why Phillip? Just because he annoys you?- Vince
- Isn't that a good enough reason? And he's just a wildcard... He wanted you or Julius gone last tribal, so as soon as Aaron goes he'll be back to me trying hard to get one of you guys out again. I don't want him outlasting me... and I'm sure you don't want to see that either.- Salma
- But will any of them vote him in the end?- Vince
- If they're bitter towards us not working with them then yeah..- Salma
|“||Salma wants Phillip gone tonight, and on a personal level I do too. I like Aaron, and I think if he stays then he's just going to leave in fourth anyway... which is a much nicer way to end this game than having Phillip stick around for twenty-four more hours. I want my options to be open at the final four, and Aaron does offer me an open door that I can use should I need to... Salma is also an open door... Phillip isn't an open door... he's not even a door frame. He's just a pile of wood that'll cause you splinters if you try and use it.||”|
Julius and Vince sit together discussing the vote, wanting to decide between going with Phillip and ousting Aaron, or staying with their Chuay Gahn side and voting out the last remaining members of Sook Jai.
- So what are we doing?- Vince
- I'd rather go for Aaron, because I think it's the best for our game... but if what you're saying with Salma is true then we don't need to worry about keeping him any longer, which will do wonders for my sanity.- Julius
- Personally, I don't think Phillip is needed... but the thing is keeping him is the guarantee that we're in the top three, and he can't win a final challenge... So if he stays tonight that's you and I in the final.- Vince
- And after thirty-six days I'd very much like to have just one thing guaranteed... Which is why I'm leaning towards taking Phillip forward with us.- Julius
|“||This vote tonight is coming down to Aaron or Phillip. It's about a guaranteed spot at the end versus a risk, but one of them is a less irritating way to spend your final few days out here. I've put up with Phillip for this long, and I'm happy to put up with him a bit longer for the sake of a spot in the final tribal council... Vince isn't so sure, and as much as I'd rather let Vince take this call and not seem like I'm too controlling... I may have to take the reigns tonight and steer this vote which ever way I want.||”|
As the group sit down to tribal council, the entire jury is seen smiling at Phillip's lack of safety at this crucial tribal council, knowing that if trends are to continue then Sook Jai will see its final ex-member voted out tonight. The group discuss the blow up after the previous vote, with Phillip labelling Aaron untrustworthy, feeling that if he's left in the game both Vince and Julius will regret it. Aaron responds by highlighting Phillip's unpredictability, and that he was the instigator behind voting against Julius the previous night, and that he'll likely do the same once he (Aaron) is voted out. Salma talks about looking ahead to the final tribal council, admitting that it has crossed her mind who she would like to go to the end with, which the others also admit to have been doing. Vince and Julius talk about both feeling safe, with it being no secret that the vote is between Aaron and Phillip. Wanting to get to the main event, the voting is commenced. Once over, Phillip offers a handshake to Aaron, which he accepts, wishing his new nemesis luck before Jeff begins the reading of the votes.
- First vote... Phillip.- Jeff Probst
- Second vote... Aaron.- Jeff Probst
- Third vote... Phillip. That's two votes Phillip, one vote Aaron.- Jeff Probst
- Fourth vote... Twelfth person voted out of Survivor Thailand and the fifth member of our jury... Phillip. No need to read the last vote, you'll need to bring me your torch.- Jeff Probst
Phillip's mouth somewhat opens in surprise, having been certain that both Julius and Vince were on his side in voting against Aaron. Despite his surprise, Phillip wishes the group luck, seeming too much in shock to give them a much expected grilling. Aaron thanks his tribe mates for staying by his side, with the Chuay Gahn four placing their hands together in celebration of being the first tribe to systematically eliminate the rival tribe after the merge. Jeff informs the group that they now have three days left, with two immunity challenges separating them and a spot at the final tribal council. As the four head back to camp, he ominously reminds them that with no more ex-Sook Jai left, they must now turn on one another.
Phillip (4 votes)
Aaron, Julius, Salma & Vince
Aaron (1 vote)
|“||You and I had something going, but you tried to blow both our games up after the last vote. It's time for you to leave.||”|
|“||I hope this isn't a vote that costs me my spot in the final two. You're a bit unstable... and it takes a weight off all of us that tonight you'll be gone.||”|
|“||Aaron, you lied to me... you cheated my trust... this is your reward.||”|
|“||I think the elements out here got to you Phillip. You've gone a bit Thailand crazy... or maybe you're just crazy, I don't even know. Vince told me you're going, and I'm glad to be the one to have set it in motion.||”|
|“||Goodbye Phillip... this feels long overdue, and to think you'd still be here tomorrow had circumstances been a little different. You blamed Aaron and Salma for your undoing... but one lesson you need to take from this is to look at your own faults, and see how you're the one that ended your own game.||”|
|“||I'm very proud how I played this game, and it's been exhausting having to keep up with it for all these weeks. I don't hold any bad feelings towards the four... I get that someone had to go, and it was just me. I didn't see it coming, and I think one of Vince or Julius will regret this move. Salma, you're the only one who didn't stab me in the back... so I'm rooting for the old bird.||”|
Still In The Running